My brother and sister-in-law just had their first baby! In the midst of the chaos of such an exciting time in their lives- I wanted to create something that would celebrate them and new parents. ❤
They are both big coffee drinkers, and who doesn’t love a cute mug? I for one have a collection of them. So I decided to make one of those DIY Sharpie Mugs that you see ALL over Pinterest.
Note: I did some digging and found a blogger who tested different DIY mug methods and she recommended this one as working the best!
What you need:
- 2 plain white mugs from The Dollar Store
- Oil based paint Sharpies
- I bought mine from Hobby Lobby in blue medium tip, extra-fine tip black, gold medium tip, and the extra bold black tip
- ACSS Acrylic Setting Spray (moisture resistant)
- p.s. I had a hard time tracking these down so you might want to save yourself the trouble and ask someone that works there 😉
- A design in mind or google something to look at to get the ideas flowing!
- Outline your design with the extra fine tip sharpie
- Fill the rest of the design in with the extra bold tip ( 2 coats)
- Let it dry for two hours
- Place the mug in the oven and set the temperature to 350 degrees
- It is important for the mug to go through the “pre-heating” phase so it doesn’t shatter
- Do this step twice!
- Spray with the ACSS and let it set overnight
- WA-LA! You have just created a pretty new mug 🙂
Check out my mug designs below!